THE DAILY ATHENAEUM EDITORIAL BOARD
At the end of every year, The Daily Athenaeum Editorial Board collaborates on this list to honor those in our community who embody the Mountaineer spirit.
The process involves a simple conversation based on a not so simple question; who have we seen make a difference in our lives here, at WVU?
The answer, like the question, is never simple. There will always be the obvious responses, no matter the year—University president, deans of colleges and popular professors.
With a little time though, we get to the less obvious. These are the people who may not already dominate our conversations on campus, but probably should. This is where we find individuals who truly shine. They are individuals who show us what it truly means to “go first,” because they do just that.
Whether it be giving it all at Dick Dlesk Stadium, providing a welcoming atmosphere for Mountaineers of all sexual orientations, winning gold in Rio, advocating for marginalized students, educating tirelessly on equal opportunities and sexual assault prevention or restructuring the student legislature to more aptly represent its students, these are all individuals who make us proud to be Mountaineers.
1. Nikki Izzo Brown, Head Coach of WVU Women’s Soccer
2. Julie Merow, Student Body President
3. Chris Mayo, Director of the WVU LGBTQ+ Center
4. Jihad Dixon, SGA Student Senator
5. Mariana Matthews, Senior Title IX Coordinator and Director of the Peer Advocate Program
6. WVU Olympians: Kadeisha Buchanan, Ashley Lawrence and Ginny Thrasher
To see The DA’s entire “2016 Year in Review” go to The Daily Athenaeum