Dorothy Abernathy, The Associated Press bureau chief for West Virginia and Virginia, shares the 10 things you need to know Thursday, April 16, 2015. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items, upcoming events and stories in West Virginia newspapers.
1. CLINTON CHARITY TO LIMIT DONATIONS TO 6 COUNTRIES
In spite of criticism over accepting money from foreign governments, the Clinton Foundation will continue to look abroad for millions of dollars.
2. AFTER MURDER CONVICTION, MORE LEGAL WOES FOR AARON HERNANDEZ
The former New England Patriots star tight end is facing separate murder charges in a 2012 double slaying and civil lawsuits.
3. PILOT’S FRIEND ALERTED SECRET SERVICE
A friend of the Florida postal worker who landed a gyrocopter onto the U.S. Capitol’s lawn says he feared the man would get shot down.
4. FAMILIES UNMOVED BY SOUTH KOREAN LEADER’S REMORSE
Angry relatives of 304 passengers who drowned in a ferry sinking snub Park Geun-hye on the disaster’s anniversary, even as she pledged to salvage the ship.
5. EFFORTS TO FIND FLIGHT 370 TO INTENSIFY
The search area for the missing Malaysia Airlines jetliner will be expanded by another 23,000 square miles in the Indian Ocean if it is not found by May.
6. CLIMATE CHANGE PLAN FACES HIGH-PROFILE LEGAL TEST
Obama’s order to address climate change is still months away from being finished, but critics want to halt the process in its tracks.
7. WELFARE RULES TIGHTEN IN KANSAS
A bill before the governor would prohibit poor families from using cash assistance from the state to attend concerts, get tattoos, see a psychic or buy lingerie.
8. HOW A PHILIPPINES EATERY IS ADDRESSING A DISORDER
Manila’s Puzzle Cafe aims to help people with autism by giving them a job with the hope that they may improve their social skills.
9. WHAT COUNTRY HAS BEEN DESERT SET FOR HOLLYWOOD
Morocco has served as the Baghdad of “American Sniper,” the Tehran seen in “Homeland” and the Mali of “American Odyssey.”
10. WHO MADE HER FINAL CATWALK
Brazilian supermodel Gisele Bundchen, 34, completed her final fashion show in Sao Paulo, ending a 20-year career.