Dorothy Abernathy, The Associated Press bureau chief for West Virginia and Virginia, shares the 10 things you need to know Wednesday, March 18, 2015. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items, upcoming events and stories in West Virginia newspapers.
1. WHO WINS ISRAELI ELECTION
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s ruling Likud Party appears to have earned 30 out of parliament’s 120 seats and is in a position to be able to build a coalition government.
2. U.S. SETS NEW RECORD FOR DENYING, CENSORING FEDERAL FILES
“The systems created to give citizens information about their government are badly broken and getting worse all the time,” says The AP’s chief executive, Gary Pruitt.
3. SREBRENICA MASSACRE SUSPECTS ARRESTED
More than 8,000 Bosnian Muslims were killed by the Serbs in 1995 — the only atrocity in Europe to be labeled genocide by the United Nations since World War II.
4. WHAT CRIMEA EXILES FIGHT FOR
They campaign to persuade their fellow Crimeans to reject absorption by Russia but bemoan the Ukrainian government’s failure to keep the annexed peninsula near the top of its agenda.
5. LETTER SENT TO WHITE HOUSE TO BE TESTED AGAIN FOR CYANIDE
The Secret Service says its investigation into the letter is continuing.
6. EMBATTLED ILLINOIS CONGRESSMAN RESIGNS
The move by Republican Aaron Schock follows revelations about his business deals and lavish spending.
7. AIRLINE WORLD’S TINY SECRET
All over the world airline executives engage in a greeting that is all their own: the exchange of model planes.
8. PENN STATE SEEKS FRAT MEMBERS WHO POSTED NUDE PHOTOS ONLINE
University officials intend to hold accountable those who used a private, invitation-only Facebook page to post “appalling, offensive” pictures.
9. HOW MONOPOLY GAME WOULD LOOK 80 YEARS LATER
The most expensive spot on its board today might be The Borgata, Atlantic City’s top casino and a major reason why people come here.
10. NHL, NBA WARMUPS MAY NOT BE A GOOD THING
Morning skatearounds are a part of hockey tradition but sleep studies suggest that such a workout eight hours before a game is not a great idea.