Dorothy Abernathy, The Associated Press bureau chief for West Virginia and Virginia, shares the 10 things you need to know Tuesday, Jan. 13, 2015. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items, upcoming events and stories in West Virginia newspapers.
1. POPE CALLS FOR RECONCILIATION IN VIOLENCE-SCARRED SRI LANKA
The pontiff’s message to the nation where Catholics make only 7% of the population is to pursue the truth about civil war atrocities.
2. CHARLIE HEBDO PLANS 3 MILLION PRINT RUN OF NEW ISSUE
The satirical weekly’s first edition after the terrorist attack will feature a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed on its front page.
3. BODIES OF JEWISH VICTIMS OF PARIS ATTACK ARRIVE IN ISRAEL
The four who were killed while being held hostage in a kosher supermarket were flown from France for a solemn funeral ceremony which leading political figures will attend.
4. DIVERS RETRIEVE SECOND BLACK BOX FROM AIR ASIA CRASH
The cockpit voice recorder may shed light on why the Airbus A320 crashed less than halfway through its flight to Singapore.
5. BUCKEYES CLINCH FIRST PLAYOFF TITLE
Ohio State upsets Oregon 42-20 to win the College Football Playoff national championship.
6. WHAT ROMNEY COULD FACE IF HE RUNS AGAIN
Presidential candidates in 2016 are expected to include more than a dozen Republicans with legitimate White House resumes.
7. WHY THE NTSB IS PROBING DC METRO INCIDENT
Heavy smoke from an unknown source led to one death and forced hundreds to evacuate the L’Enfant Plaza station during rush hour.
8. ALBUQUERQUE OFFICERS FACE MURDER CHARGES
Police say a SWAT team member and a former police detective fatally shot a mentally ill homeless man who had frequent run-ins with the law.
9. HOW FIDEL CASTRO IS REBUTTING RUMORS OF HIS DEATH
Castro, who hasn’t been seen in public for more than a year, reportedly writes a letter to soccer legend Diego Maradona with references to current events.
10. KEYSTONE PIPELINE CLEARS HURDLE IN SENATE
The legislation could win final approval and be sent to the White House by the end of next week.