Dorothy Abernathy, The Associated Press bureau chief for West Virginia and Virginia, shares the 10 things you need to know Thursday, Nov. 6, 2014. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items, upcoming events and stories in West Virginia newspapers.
1. WINNING GOP EAGER TO MOVE AHEAD WITH THEIR AGENDA
The Republican Party wants to strike legislative victories on the Keystone pipeline and rolling back some Obamacare elements and environmental regulations.
2. WHAT FUELED GOP MIDTERM VICTORY
Pollsters find that low midterm turnout combined with the president’s sagging popularity handed Republicans their biggest win in years.
3. JERUSALEM TENSIONS BRING DISCORD TO ISRAELI GOVERNMENT
Hard-line members of Netanyahu’s cabinet want to remove restrictions on Jews praying at a holy site that’s revered also by Muslims.
4. POLICE: PHILLY ABDUCTION VICTIM FOUND SAFE
The woman is spotted near Baltimore in a car with her suspected kidnapper and is rescued soon after.
5. HOW SOAPS ARE HELPING AFGHANS MOVE ON
New television series entertain viewers and promote democratic change using strong female characters and election backdrops to plots.
6. ‘MOM! DAD! WE WILL BE LATE FOR WORK!”
“Bring Your Parents Day” clears elders’ confusion about what younger people are doing professionally in a rapidly-changing workplace.
7. AC/DC DRUMMER CHARGED WITH HIRING HITMEN FOR KILLINGS
Phil Rudd, who joined the rock band forty years ago, is accused of attempting to procure murder in his adopted home of New Zealand.
8. ACCUSED MAN IN WASHINGTON KILLING SURRENDERS
The 33-year-old fugitive who allegedly killed his girlfriend and posted pictures of her body online was arrested in Oregon.
9. ‘DROP THAT PLATE RIGHT NOW’
To Arnold Abbot, feeding the homeless in a public park in Florida was an act of charity. To the city of Fort Lauderdale, the 90-year-old was committing a crime.
10. WHO WON THE NIGHT AT THE COUNTRY MUSIC AWARDS
Miranda Lambert takes home trophies for album and single of the year and best female vocalist while Luke Bryan is crowned top entertainer.