Dorothy Abernathy, regional media director of The Associated Press, shares 10 things you need to know Thursday, March 3, 2016. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items and much more in West Virginia newspapers.
1. WHAT ARE OPTIONS FOR REPUBLICANS ANXIOUS OVER DONALD TRUMP’S DOMINANCE
There are few good ones as party elites pore over complicated delegate math, contemplating a contested convention and even the prospect of a third party option.
2. MALAYSIA SAYS PROBABILITY IS HIGH THAT DEBRIS FOUND IN MOZAMBIQUE IS FROM FLIGHT 370
The transportation ministers of Malaysia and Australia both say the area where it was found matches investigators’ predictions of where debris from the plane would end up.
3. PILOT’S FAMILY COPES WITH PAIN, REJECTS THEORY HE WAS TO BLAME
Two years after the disappearance of Flight 370, the eldest sister of Capt. Zaharie Ahmad Shah tells AP’s Eileen Ng that he was a kind, generous and happy man.
4. NORTH KOREA FIRES SHORT-RANGE PROJECTILES INTO SEA HOURS AFTER U.N. SLAPS SANCTIONS
South Korea’s Defense Ministry said the projectiles were fired from the eastern coastal town of Wonsan and could be missiles, artillery or rockets.
5. AFGHAN BOYS ARE THE NEW FACE OF EUROPE’S MIGRATION EMERGENCY
AP gains rare access to a Norwegian shelter for children and teens traveling alone in an unexpected and challenging aspect of the migrant crisis.
6. CLINTON STILL STRUGGLES FOR YOUNGER VOTERS SHE NEEDS TO WIN IN NOVEMBER
The Democratic front-runner acknowledges she is falling short on that front as young people flock to Bernie Sanders.
7. HOW THE FIRST OIL COMPANY DREW CRUDE FROM AN ALASKA RESERVE SET ASIDE NEARLY A CENTURY AGO
It took compromises with Alaska Natives and keeping environmental concerns in mind for oil to start flowing from the National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska.
8. WHO COULD BE THE FIRST FOREIGN-BORN JUSTICE TO SERVE ON THE U.S. SUPREME COURT IN OVER 50 YEARS
Sri Srinivasan, a federal appeals judge who was born in India and grew up in Kansas, is one of several people being mentioned prominently as a potential replacement for Justice Antonin Scalia.
9. HOW ARE CAMBODIA’S POLITICAL RIVALS GETTING A JUMP START ON CAMPAIGNING
Long-ruling Prime Minister Hun Sen and exiled opposition leader Sam Rainsy are competing for “likes” on Facebook well ahead of 2018 elections.
10. WHAT DUSTIN HOFFMAN THINKS ABOUT RACE IN AMERICA
The actor tells AP he feels there is a systematic problem beyond the Oscars that can change “when the people that are oppressed force it to change.”