Dorothy Abernathy, regional media director of The Associated Press, shares 10 things you need to know Thursday, April 14, 2016. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items and much more in West Virginia newspapers.
1. RUSSIAN JETS BUZZ US NAVY DESTROYER IN BALTIC SEA
The attack planes come as close as about 30 feet to the ship and twice pass below its navigation bridge, U.S. officials say.
2. HOW WORST FEARS OF MANY PREGNANT WOMEN HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED
U.S. health officials say there is no longer any doubt the Zika virus causes babies to be born with abnormally small heads and other severe brain defects.
3. KIDNAPPED NIGERIAN GIRLS SEEN IN VIDEO
The “proof of life” video was reportedly sent to negotiators trying to free the girls, who haven’t been heard from since the mass abduction by Islamic extremists two years ago.
4. TASK FORCE CASTIGATES CHICAGO POLICE FOR EXCESSIVE FORCE
The panel in a report says the nation’s third-largest police department has “no regard for the sanctity of life when it comes to people of color.”
5. WHO MIGHT BE MAKING UP AFTER FREQUENT CLASHES
Donald Trump holds a meeting with Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly in New York’s Trump Tower.
6. TEXAS ‘AFFLUENZA’ TEEN ORDERED TO JAIL FOR NEARLY TWO YEARS
The surprising sanction far exceeds the several months in jail that prosecutors initially said they would pursue in the fatal drunken-driving wreck.
7. TOP SYRIAN OFFICIAL: ASSAD MUST REMAIN IN POWER
The government’s stance complicates peace talks that have resumed in Geneva on ending the five-year civil war.
8. BIG BANKS UNDER SCRUTINY
Federal regulators say five of the biggest banks in the U.S. have inadequate plans for dealing with financial distress without another taxpayer bailout.
9. WHAT’S UNNERVING CLIMATE SCIENTISTS
Greenland’s massive ice sheet is melting freakishly early, mostly from natural weather on top of overall global warming.
10. AGENT URGES JOHNNY MANZIEL TO SEEK TREATMENT
Drew Rosenhaus tells the troubled quarterback to get help or he will no longer represent him.