The regional bureau of The Associated Press, shares 10 things you need to know Thursday, Jan. 11, 2018. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items and much more in West Virginia newspapers.
1. SEARCH FOR VICTIMS PRESSES ON AFTER CALIFORNIA MUDSLIDE
Hundreds of searchers continue the grim and grueling work of hunting for survivors and digging up bodies in the mud and wreckage left by flash flooding in the wealthy coastal enclave of Montecito.
2. TRUMP GROUP SAYS MEMO SUPPORTS ITS ARGUMENT OVER EMAILS
3. SEXUAL MISCONDUCT POLICIES FACE UPDATES IN STATE CAPITOLS
A 50-state review by the AP finds that state legislatures vary tremendously in what kinds of policies and procedures they have in place to deal with sexual harassment and misconduct claims.
4. WHAT HAS HIT A $14 BILLION POTHOLE
China’s plan for a modern Silk Road of railways, ports and other facilities linking Asia with Europe hits political and financial hurdles in Pakistan.
5. TRUMP SUPPORTERS FEEL LET DOWN BY FEDS’ POT OVERSIGHT
The move feels especially punitive to Trump voters who work in the growing legal marijuana industry, which has taken hold in states of all political stripes.
6. ALABAMA ENTERS FAST LANE TO BECOME MAJOR AUTOMAKER HUB
The Southern state lands a $1.6 billion joint venture plant of Toyota and Mazda expected to employ thousands.
7. BRUTAL AMERICAN COLD SNAP DEEMED FREAK OF NATURE
A quick study by scientists theorizes climate change wasn’t a factor but it is making such frigid weather spells much rarer.
8. TO CATCH A THIEF
Paris police are searching for at least two robbers suspected of stealing jewels possibly worth millions from the Ritz Hotel in Paris in a dramatic heist.
9. NORTH KOREA: POPULARITY OF ‘FIRE AND FURY’ FORETELLS TRUMP’S END
Michael Wolff’s bombshell new book gives North Koreans good material to attack the U.S. president, with a newspaper opining that “Trump is being massively humiliated worldwide.”
10. AMAZON LOOKS TO BUILD ON 1st SEASON OF NFL STREAMING
The question looking ahead is how aggressively will the tech giant be in the sports streaming landscape.