West Virginia Press Association
CHARLESTON, W.Va. – The West Virginia Nursery & Landscape Association (WVNLA) has announced five scholarship recipients who will receive $2,500 each through its Marcus W. Rennix Memorial Scholarship program.
The students — all attending West Virginia University (WVU) — will be recognized at the association’s February 21 Winter Symposium in Charleston.
The scholarship recipients include:
- Sam Glazier of Charleston is a junior majoring in Landscape Architecture. He is a graduate of Starr’s Mill High School in Fayette County, Georgia.
- Hailey Lane of New Martinsville is a junior majoring in Horticulture. She graduated from Tyler Consolidated High School.
- Garrett Oursler of Morgan County is a junior studying Environmental Soils and Water Sciences with a minor in Horticulture. He graduated from Berkeley County High School.
- James Ranson, a graduate of St. Albans High School, is studying Landscape Architecture with minors in both Sustainable Design Studies and Sustainable Trail Development. He is a native of St. Albans.
- Hayden Swain of Ravenswood is a senior in the Landscape Architecture program. Swain graduated from Ravenswood High School.
Julie Robinson, WVNLA executive director, said the association considers, on a rolling annual basis, scholarship funding for West Virginia students studying horticulture, landscape architecture, and nursery and greenhouse management.
She said students must be in-state residents who have completed half the required courses in ornamental horticulture or landscape architecture and maintained at least a 2.5 grade point average.
Robinson encourages other students who meet the criteria to apply for the 2025 educational funds. Deadline for submission is September 30, 2024.
Additional information can be found at WVNLA’s website: https://wvnla.org/scholarships/
Registration information for the February 21 Winter Symposium can be found at https://wvnla.org/category/wvnla-events/wvnla-symposiums/
About the West Virginia Nursery & Landscape Association, Inc.
West Virginia Nursery & Landscape Association, Inc., established in 1939, is a professional trade association dedicated to supporting nursery and landscape businesses and vendors throughout the Mountain State.
WVNLA members support West Virginia college students studying horticulture and landscape architecture with scholarship opportunities.
They also share expertise and support in their communities; meet for volunteer projects; and support worthy, industry-related endeavors through association donations.
For membership, events or mission priorities please visit https://wvnla.org/