Latest News, WV Press Videos

Kanawha board member tries to evict legislator

Charleston Daily Mail file photo
Delegate Suzette Raines, R-Kanawha Charleston Daily Mail file photo

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — A Kanawha County school board member is trying to evict a local Republican lawmaker from a South Hills home.

Board member Becky Jordon and her husband, Andrew Jordon, filed a complaint Thursday morning in Kanawha Circuit Court requesting Delegate Suzette Raines, R-Kanawha, move out of a home on Roller Road.

The Jordons want Raines to pay $2,500 in rent and other fees to cover damages they say she caused at the home and the legal fees.

“On Monday, June 16, 2013, employees who entered the premises to repair the air conditioning system notified Mrs. Jordon of strong pet odors, urine and feces throughout the home as well as trash scattered upon the premises outside the home,” states a notice of eviction to Raines from Jordon’s lawyer dated June 16.

The court filing says the dogs were at the property without Jordon’s knowledge, and caused damage to the carpet, wood and linoleum flooring and kitchen cabinets, as well as other areas.

The legal filing includes several letters from Jordon’s attorney to Raines. The first, dated May 30, asks Raines to keep the home cleaner and begin paying rent on time.

The second letter, dated June 16, says Raines failed to comply with the Jordons’ request and needs to leave the home by Wednesday. The Jordons note Raines failed to leave the premises by Wednesday in their legal request for eviction.

In an interview Thursday afternoon Raines said there was never any formal lease agreement, there is no damage to the home, Becky Jordon knew about Raines’ two dogs and she’s lying about the amount of the rent.

“I’m just a little surprised someone I consider to be a friend now claims my rent is $2,500 when it’s $1,600,” Raines said.

“Becky is a friend of mine, but she’s different,” Raines added a few minutes later.

Jordon disputed receiving a phone message from the Daily Mail. She expressed anger with an early version of a Daily Mail story posted online but referred any questions to her attorney O. Gay Elmore.

A Daily Mail reporter spoke briefly with Elmore, but the phone line died before the reporter could ask any questions. Elmore did not return phone messages left after the phone line died…

Comments are closed.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

And get our latest content in your inbox

Invalid email address