Dorothy Abernathy, The Associated Press bureau chief for West Virginia and Virginia, shares the 10 things you need to know Wednesday, Jan. 14, 2015. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items, upcoming events and stories in West Virginia newspapers.
1. WHO IS CLAIMING RESPONSIBILITY FOR PARIS ATTACK
Yemen’s top al-Qaida leader says his organization masterminded the newsroom killings at Charlie Hebdo.
2. DEFIANT CHARLIE HEBDO’S NEW ISSUE SELLS OUT
The latest edition from the satirical weekly, fronting the Prophet Muhammad, has Parisians lining up before dawn to secure a copy.
3. POPE CANONIZES FIRST SRI LANKAN SAINT
More than half a million people pack the pontiff’s Mass in Colombo where he declared the nation’s Rev. Joseph Vaz a model for national unity and reconciliation.
4. CONGRESS PUSHES AHEAD DESPITE VETO THREATS
Republican lawmakers are ready to pass measures staunchly opposed by the White House, including one that would block Obama’s executive actions on immigration.
5. WHY GOP RIGHT WINGERS ARE WELCOMING A ROMNEY RUN
Conservative Republicans are glad there’s as much competition among establishment candidates as there’s within their own fold.
6. IN BALTIMORE MEETING, DEMOCRATS LICK WOUNDS, WEIGH FUTURE
The party lost Senate control and was trounced in state legislatures and governorships across the nation in 2014.
7. CAMERON DELAYS AVATAR SEQUEL TILL 2017
The director admits that the initial target date of late next year for the much-awaited movie was too ambitious.
8. AUTHORITIES SAY NEW MEXICO COP FATALLY SHOOTS MAN
A day after an Albuquerque district attorney charges two policemen with murder, a third one kills a suspect who returned fire.
9. FIRST WOODY ALLEN TV SHOW TO PREMIERE ON AMAZON
The legendary director agrees to write and direct all the episodes of a half-hour series, expected to premiere in 2016, for the online retailer’s Prime Instant Video service.
10. WHOSE LUCK RAN OUT AT THE SLOTS
Caesars Entertainment, owner of the famed casino empire, is close to a bankruptcy filing after its bet on gambling fortunes failed.