Dorothy Abernathy, The Associated Press bureau chief for West Virginia and Virginia, shares the 10 things you need to know Thursday, July 3, 2014. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items, upcoming events and stories in West Virginia newspapers.
1. 32 STATES TRAIL US AS A WHOLE IN JOB RECOVERY
Five years after the Great Recession officially ended, most states still haven’t regained all the jobs they lost, even though the nation as a whole has.
2. “CORPORATE PERSONHOOD” CHALLENGES “WE THE PEOPLE”
The latest “Hobby Lobby” ruling by the Supreme Court caps a legal principle that treats companies as individuals.
3. WHY U.S. WANTS MORE SECURITY AT FOREIGN AIRPORTS
Intelligence officials are concerned about a new al-Qaida effort to create a bomb that would go undetected through airport security.
4. CHINA’S PRESIDENT SNUBS NORTH KOREA
Xi Jinping is visiting South Korea ahead of its northern foe in his first official trip to the divided peninsula.
5. OUTBREAK IS LATEST SCOURGE ON HAITI
Cramped quarters, dismal sanitation and ideal breeding grounds for mosquitoes are all helping the intensely painful chikungunya virus to spread.
6. SERIAL CHILD RAPIST LEAVES MYSTERIES IN WAKE OF SUICIDE
A Georgia man left behind more than 50,000 images of girls he raped and molested, and the FBI wants victims to come forward so they can be helped.
7. WHERE ALCOHOL-FUELED PARTIES MAY SOON END
Swanky East Hampton’s beaches may ban drinking to stop rowdy partying that’s led to a “Fratster” problem.
8. CHEMICAL SCANNER COULD CHANGE THE WAY WE SHOP, EAT
The Israeli gadget called the SCiO uses infrared technology to indicate how many calories there are in food and what its chemical components are.
9. DROUGHT WON’T HAMPER FIREWORKS IN PARCHED SOUTHWEST
July 4 celebrations in states like Arizona and New Mexico will go ahead despite the high threat of wildfires.
10. WHAT ARTHUR WILL BRING TO THE EAST COAST
The storm is expected to become a hurricane by Thursday, bringing high winds, rough seas, dangerous rip currents and possible flooding.