Dorothy Abernathy, The Associated Press bureau chief for West Virginia and Virginia, shares the 10 things you need to know Friday, March 6, 2015. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items, upcoming events and stories in West Virginia newspapers.
1. HARRISON FORD CRASH-LANDS PLANE ON LA GOLF COURSE
The actor is taken to a hospital with moderate injuries after his vintage two-seater is forced down by engine trouble.
2. JURY DEADLOCKS, SPARING JODI ARIAS’ LIFE
Jurors say they were 11-1 in favor of the death penalty — and tried unsuccessfully to get the lone holdout kicked off the panel.
3. ISLAMIC STATE MILITANTS ‘BULLDOZED’ ANCIENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE, IRAQI GOVERNMENT SAYS
There’s no immediate word on the extent of the damage to the 13th century B.C. Assyrian dig just south of Mosul.
4. LATE-WINTER SNOW — MASSIVE IN SPOTS — HITS EASTERN US
Mishaps during the storm include a plane that skids off a runway at New York’s LaGuardia Airport and comes to rest perilously close to the icy waters of a bay.
5. ANIMAL RIGHTS GROUPS TAKE CREDIT FOR REMOVING ELEPHANT ACTS FROM ‘GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH’
They say it was their pressure that led to the decision by the family that owns the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus.
6. WHAT’S DIMMING HOPE FOR REFORM IN FERGUSON, MISSOURI
Experts question how any police force can adopt sweeping changes if the same chief is in charge and many of the same officers are on the beat.
7. UKRAINE WAR ABATES, MISERY REMAINS
A government blockade on separatist-held areas — meant to choke the rebel economy — is only getting worse.
8. HOW ATTITUDES ARE SHIFTING ON GAY MARRIAGE
Same-sex unions are now supported by a clear majority of Americans — something unheard of just a quarter century ago, a survey shows.
9. CARDINAL EDWARD EGAN DIES AT 82
The former archbishop of New York played a prominent role in the city after the Sept. 11 terror attacks.
10. WHO CAUSED KERFUFFLE AT PARIS FASHION WEEK
Heads turn as Kim Kardashian arrives with a new slicked-back, bleached-blond hairstyle.