By February 22, 2018 Read More →

Bill to fund PEIA with surplus goes to vote

By ANDREA LANNOM

The Register-Herald

CHARLESTON, W.Va.  — A bill dedicating some General Revenue Fund surplus money into the Public Employees’ Insurance Agency Stability Fund will be up for passage Thursday in the House of Delegates.

The bill dedicates 20 percent of the surplus money at the end of the budget year to the PEIA fund, which was created by the Legislature in 2016 to offset increases in PEIA deductibles and out-of-pocket expenses. The remaining 80 percent of surplus funds would be split between the Rainy Day Fund and General Revenue Fund appropriation.

House Bill 4625 advanced an evening session after debating and rejecting an amendment by House Minority Leader Tim Miley that would dedicated 100 percent of surplus money into the Stability Fund until it reaches a $75 million threshold.

The Harrison County Democrat’s amendment was rejected in a 36-49 vote.

“The reason why I think this is important is because it shows a commitment to fix — if we can say that — the PEIA issue,” Miley said.

Read the entire article: http://www.register-herald.com/news/bill-to-fund-peia-with-surplus-goes-to-vote/article_fa4221d0-177f-11e8-b0e0-7f087e4234ed.html

See more from The Register-Herald

Comments are closed.