Dorothy Abernathy, regional media director of The Associated Press, shares 10 things you need to know Wednesday, March 9, 2016. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items and much more in West Virginia newspapers.
1. TRUMP WINS MICHIGAN, MISSISSIPPI AND HAWAII WHILE SANDERS UPSETS CLINTON IN MICHIGAN
The results leave Trump’s rivals with few opportunities to shrink his momentum, and on the Democratic side, breathe new life into Sanders’ White House bid.
2. NORTH KOREA’S LEADER POSES BESIDE PURPORTED NUCLEAR WARHEAD MOCK UP
Kim Jong Un says his country has developed miniaturized atomic bombs to be placed on missiles.
3. IRAN FIRES 2 MISSILES MARKED WITH “ISRAEL MUST BE WIPED OUT”
The show of force by the Islamic Republic came as U.S. Vice President Joe Biden visited Israel.
4. BEATLES PRODUCER GEORGE MARTIN DIES AT 90
The urbane producer guided, assisted and stood aside through the band’s swift transformation from rowdy club act to cultural revolutionaries.
5. WHO HAS REACHED A MAKE-OR-BREAK MOMENT IN THE US PRESIDENTIAL RACE
Sen. Marco Rubio knows a loss in his home state of Florida next Tuesday would force him out of the 2016 contest.
6. WHAT TO WATCH FOR IN THE EIGHTH DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE
The manners of Clinton and Sanders are in question as they meet in the political proving ground of Florida.
7. THREE DAYS OF FORMAL MOURNING FOR NANCY REAGAN BEGIN
The solemn memorials start with a small ceremony followed by a public viewing at Ronald Reagan Presidential Library.
8. RADIATION FEARS KEEP JAPAN’S NUCLEAR REFUGEES FROM RETURNING HOME
Five years after the Fukushima disaster displaced 150,000 people, many are resisting government calls to return to areas deemed safe.
9. WHAT DEFEATED THE SOUTH KOREAN CHAMPION OF ANCIENT CHINESE BOARD GAME GO
Google’s computer program AlphaGo beat Lee Sedol in a breakthrough for artificial intelligence.
10. SECOND WACHOWSKI SIBLING COMES OUT AS TRANSGENDER
“Matrix” filmmaker Lilly Wachowski revealed she is transgender four years after her sibling Lana did the same.