Dorothy Abernathy, regional media director of The Associated Press, shares 10 things you need to know Wednesday, July 6, 2016. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items and much more in West Virginia newspapers.
1. HEAD OF BRITAIN’S IRAQ WAR INQUIRY RELEASES DAMNING REPORT
Retired civil servant John Chilcot says the 2003 U.S.-led invasion was mounted on flawed U.K. intelligence, executed with “wholly inadequate” planning and ended “a long way from success.”
2. ‘BLADE RUNNER’ GETS SIX YEARS FOR MURDER
Oscar Pistorius’ new sentence for killing girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp is far less than the 15-year jail term he could have faced.
3. CHARACTER QUESTIONS LIKELY TO PERSIST FOR CLINTON
The FBI may have spared Hillary Clinton the worst in its investigation into her email use as secretary of state, but criticism of her judgment and trustworthiness will likely vex her up to Election Day.
4. ISLAMIC STATE PRESSURED AFTER TURKEY TIGHTENS JIHADI HIGHWAY
Documents obtained by the AP show at least 4,000 foreign recruits for IS traveled through Turkey into Syria between late 2013 and the end of 2014.
5. ONE OF THE BLOODIEST RAMADANS IN MEMORY HANGS OVER EID
The diverse, high profile targets appear to confirm what many experts have long feared: The Islamic State group will metastasize far beyond its shrinking caliphate.
6. CONGRESS ON COLLISION COURSE OVER GUN, TERROR BILLS
Lawmakers seem just as destined for an election-season clash over guns as they did before a Democratic sit-in on the chamber’s floor two weeks ago.
7. PUFFING IN PYONGYANG UNDER THREAT
North Korea, one of the last bastions of free, unhindered smoking, is now officially trying to get its people to kick the habit.
8. SADDAM KILLED TERRORISTS ‘SO GOOD’
Donald Trump praises the former Iraqi president’s ruthlessness when it came to rooting out terrorists.
9. WHAT TO DO WHEN BEARS ATTACK
After a recent grizzly attack at Alaska’s Denali National Park, a biologist there says not to lie down unless the bear is upon you.
10. CALL IT A COMEBACK
Brock Lesnar is firing up the Brocktagon one more time in Las Vegas in the comeback of the UFC season.