Dorothy Abernathy, regional media director of The Associated Press, shares 10 things you need to know Thursday, March 10, 2016. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items and much more in West Virginia newspapers.
1. TRUMP PIVOTS TO GENERAL ELECTION IN HIS OWN UNORTHODOX WAY
The over-the-top billionaire is forecasting flexibility on his hardline immigration policies, pledging to moderate his often bullying tone.
2. CLINTON, SANDERS TANGLE OVER WHO IS BEST FOR HISPANICS AHEAD OF FLORIDA PRIMARY
The Democratic rivals traded accusations over their immigration stances, and Clinton batted aside a question on whether she would drop out of the race if indicted over her handling of the email controversy.
3. HOW SERIOUS ARE THE TENSIONS ON THE KOREAN PENINSULA
Despite North Korea’s threats, missile launches and nuclear bomb test, the current state of affairs is not even close to past standoffs between the Koreas.
4. WHO WILL DINE ON COLORADO LAMB SPASHED IN CANADIAN WHISKY AT THE WHITE HOUSE
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau brings his famous name and hopes of strengthening ties with the Obama administration on a high-profile visit to Washington.
5. FUKUSHIMA CLEAN-UP WORKERS FROM BOTTOM OF CASTE-LIKE CONTRACTOR SYSTEM
The 26,000 men are vulnerable to exploitation, and Japan’s government is not making sure their radiation levels are individually tested.
6. AUNG SAN SUU KYI WILL NOT BE MYANMAR’S NEXT PRESIDENT
Unofficially the Nobel laureate has vowed to be the de-facto leader by calling the shots from behind the scenes, but her party nominated two Suu Kyi loyalists for president.
7. FIVE PEOPLE KILLED IN AMBUSH-STYLE SHOOTING IN SUBURBAN PITTSBURGH
At least two gunmen are at large, and the motive for the shooting at a backyard party is unknown.
8. WHERE SOME HOMELESS PEOPLE ARE GETTING MEDICAL CARE
Physicians like Brett Feldman of Pennsylvania treat the homeless where they live, a health care niche known as street medicine that could become more mainstream.
9. HOW TO PLAY THE ANCIENT CHINESE BOARD GAME OF GO
The rules of the game that is the focus of a man-vs-machine battle are beautifully simple, but actually playing it is not.
10. SUPER BOWL CHAMPS FIND THEMSELVES SCRAMBILING FOR A QB
The general manager of the Broncos has a huge hole to fill with Brock Osweiler bolting to the Houston Texans 48 hours after Peyton Manning’s retirement.