Dorothy Abernathy, regional media director of The Associated Press, shares 10 things you need to know Monday, Oct. 3, 2016. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items and much more in West Virginia newspapers.
1. HOW TRUMP’S ‘APPRENTICE’ MOVED FROM CAPITALISM TO SEXISM
In his years as a reality TV boss on “The Apprentice,” Donald Trump repeatedly demeaned women with sexist language, according to show insiders, AP finds.
2. COLOMBIA FACES DEEP UNCERTAINTY AFTER PEACE DEAL REJECTED
Both President Santos and leaders of the FARC, having come this far after four years of grueling negotiations, vowed to push ahead, giving no hint they want to resume a war that has already killed 220,000 people and displaced 8 million.
3. CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE BEARS DOWN ON HAITI
Forecasters say Hurricane Matthew could dump as much as 40 inches of rain on some isolated areas of Haiti, raising fears of mudslides and heavy floods in the poor nation.
4. INSIDE THE MIND OF A MAN WHO CARRIED OUT AN ‘HONOR’ KILLING
A strict Muslim from Pakistan who admits to fatally shooting his sister because she married a Christian attempts to justify his actions.
5. GUNMEN ROB KIM KARDASHIAN OF MILLIONS IN JEWELS
The reality star was “badly shaken but physically unharmed” after men dressed as police tied her up at gunpoint and took more than $10 million in jewelry, a spokeswoman says.
6. WHICH SUPREME COURT JUSTICE IS RIDING WAVE OF POPULARITY
Ruth Bader Ginsburg, aka Notorious RBG, is enjoying her rock-star celebrity by releasing a compilation of her writings, including some of her spiciest dissenting opinions.
7. ACTIVISTS WANT NAMES, ANSWERS FOR FATAL POLICE SHOOTING
Demonstrators press the Los Angeles police to publicly identify the officers involved in the deadly shooting of an 18-year-old black man near his home.
8. JAPANESE SCIENTIST WINS NOBEL MEDICINE PRIZE
Yoshinori Ohsumi discovered the mechanisms of autophagy, referred to as a fundamental process for degrading and recycling cellular components.
9. WHY MANY ALASKANS ARE GRUMBLING OVER ANNUAL OIL DIVIDEND
The state’s multibillion dollar deficit has shrunk the checks from a high of $2,072 per person last year to $1,022 this year.
10. AMERICANS WIN BACK RYDER CUP IN ROUT
The 17-11 victory over Europe is the biggest victory for U.S. in 35 years at the Ryder Cup.