The Associated Press shares 10 things you need to know Wednesday, Sept. 9, 2015. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items and much more in West Virginia newspapers:
1. EU URGES NATIONS TO SHARE 160,000 REFUGEES
“The refugee crisis will not simply go away,” says European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, noting that some 500,000 migrants have entered Europe this year, many from Syria and Libya.
2. WHY UNITED AIRLINES CEO STEPS DOWN
Jeffery Smisek is out as federal officials probe the airline’s ties to the former chairman of the agency that operates New York-area airports.
3. IRAN NUCLEAR DEAL GAINS MOMENTUM
The agreement is taking center stage in the presidential campaign and lawmakers prepare for what could be their most consequential foreign policy vote of their careers.
4. PAKISTAN AMONG WORLD’S TOP EXECUTIONERS AFTER TERROR ATTACK
After the Taliban slaughtered 150 people, most of them children, the country’s numbers of executed prisoners soar – but it’s mostly common criminals facing death as opposed to militants as first promised.
5. KENTUCKY CLERK RELEASED FROM JAIL
Kim Davis will return to work this week to face another day of reckoning.
6. LONDON-BOUND PLANE CATCHES FIRE ON LAS VEGAS RUNWAY
Fire officials say 14 people were taken to hospital for minor injuries, most a result of sliding down the inflatable chutes to escape.
7. WHAT HAPPENED TO HARPER LEE’S BOOK
The deaths of a reverend’s two wives, a brother, nephew and a stepdaughter become a tale too lurid to resist for the author, though she never finishes the true-crime novel initially called “The Reverend.”
8. WHO CALLS FOR STEPS TO PROMOTE HEALTHY WALKING
Take a walk: That’s the U.S. surgeon general’s prescription for sedentary Americans — but communities will have to step up, too.
9. STEPHEN COLBERT DEBUTS ON ‘THE LATE SHOW’
His tenure on CBS begins with a tribute to predecessor David Letterman, a brief conversation with rival Jimmy Fallon and a surprise cameo from Comedy Central buddy Jon Stewart.
10. SERENA WILLIAMS BEATS VENUS AT US OPEN
A smiling Venus wraps both arms around her little sister for a warm hug at the net and whisperes, “So happy for you.”