Dorothy Abernathy, The Associated Press bureau chief for West Virginia and Virginia, shares the 10 things you need to know Monday, June 22, 2015. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items, upcoming events and stories in West Virginia newspapers:
1. GREECE BRACES FOR TOUGH TALKS
Eurozone leaders meet in Brussels, and markets surge on hopes of a deal, as the clock runs down on the nation’s chances of avoiding an exit from the euro.
2. TALIBAN SUICIDE BOMBER, GUNMEN ATTACK AFGHAN PARLIAMENT
The ambush leaves 18 civilians wounded and all seven attackers dead. All the lawmakers inside the building are safe.
3. SOLIDARITY IN CHARLESTON BEFORE CHURCH VICTIMS’ FUNERALS
Area residents repeat messages of love at the remembrances, hopeful their expressions will drown out the hate embodied in the slayings.
4. WHO SAYS U.S. NOT CURED OF RACISM
In an interview for a podcast, Obama tells a comedian host that the legacy of slavery “casts a long shadow” that is part of America’s DNA.
5. WHAT CAUSES SHIFT IN MANHUNT FOR KILLERS
Probing the latest sighting, police move their search for two convicted murderers to an area west of the New York prison from which they escaped.
6. MYSTERY WARNINGS APPEAR ON INSTAGRAM IN NORTH KOREA
Opening the app with mobile devices on the country’s carrier results in a notification in English saying: “You can’t connect to this website because it’s in blacklist site.”
7. CLINTON EMBRACES ‘FIRST MAMA’ ROLE
In contrast to her 2008 presidential run, the candidate is emphasizing her family and gender this time.
8. WHERE BLOODSHED REACHES LEVELS OF CIVIL WAR
El Salvador has just experienced one of its most violent months since the end of the conflict in 1992, with 635 homicides reported in May.
9. APPLE CHANGES TUNE ON ROYALTIES AFTER TAYLOR SWIFT COMPLAINS
“When I woke up this morning and I saw Taylor’s note that she had written, it really solidified that we needed to make a change,” says the company’s senior vice president Eddy Cue.
10. DAY TO REMEMBER FOR NEW FACE OF GOLF
Jordan Spieth is now halfway to history, yet still barely old enough to drink. The last player who did things like him was named Tiger Woods.