Dorothy Abernathy, The Associated Press bureau chief for West Virginia and Virginia, shares the 10 things you need to know Tuesday, March 11, 2014. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items, upcoming events and stories in West Virginia newspapers.
1. MAN WITH STOLEN PASSPORT ON JET WAS ASYLUM SEEKER
One of the two men traveling on a missing Malaysia Airlines jet with a stolen passport was a 19-year-old Iranian man believed to be trying to migrate to Germany, and had no terror links.
2. A SOLEMN DAY OF REMEMBRANCE IN JAPAN
Three years ago, an earthquake and tsunami left nearly 19,000 people dead or missing and triggered a nuclear crisis.
3. WHAT KIEV IS DOING TO COUNTER RUSSIAN MILITARY
Ukraine’s acting president calls for the formation of a national guard and for the mobilization of reserves and volunteers into the country’s armed forces.
4. NEXT STEPS IN ARMY GENERAL’S SEX ASSAULT CASE
His lawyers will decide whether to submit a new plea-bargain proposal, after the judge said the military may have improperly pushed the trial forward.
5. WHAT GARNERED A RARE UNANIMOUS VOTE IN THE U.S. SENATE
The chamber voted 97-0 for a bipartisan plan to fight sexual assault in the military, including scrapping the “good soldier defense.”
6. `FATAL VISION’ AUTHOR JOE MCGINNISS DIES AT 71
He had inoperable prostate cancer, and was working on a book about his illness.
7. THE DEBATE OVER DRONES: USEFULNESS VS. PRIVACY
More than 35 states are considering legislation this year, while many also try to lure the unmanned aircraft industry.
8. HOW PIT BULLS GOT AN IMAGE MAKEOVER
Animal activists and some TV shows are portraying the “pits” more positively. Now, a number of states are stepping back from their previous bans.
9. FOUR-TIME IDITAROD CHAMP ENDS QUEST
In a stunning reversal, weather forces Jeff King to drop out of the sled-dog race about 25 miles from the finish line.
10. NHL GAME CALLED OFF WHEN PLAYER FALLS ILL
Dallas Stars forward Rich Peverley is in stable condition after suffering a heart problem and collapsing on the bench during a game against Columbus.