1. WHY US AIR STRIKES MIGHT BE CALLED OFF
Syria, hoping to avert military retaliation, says it’s willing to surrender control of its chemical weapons so they can be destroyed.
2. OBAMA TO ADDRESS THE NATION
Seeking an OK to use military force, but facing stiff resistance in Congress, the president will discuss his plans for Syria during a prime-time TV speech.
3. FOUR CONVICTED IN INDIA GANG RAPE
The men face the possibility of hanging in the fatal attack of a young woman on a moving New Delhi bus.
4. WIFE ACCUSES GEORGE ZIMMERMAN OF VIOLENCE, THEN RECANTS
Shellie Zimmerman claims her husband threatened her with a gun, then changes her story and declines to press charges.
5. HOW THE NYC MAYOR’S RACE IS SHAPING UP
Voters go the polls as the once-high-flying campaign of Anthony Weiner has landed with a thud.
6. APPLE’S NEXT BIG THING
As its stock price continues to sag, the tech pioneer is expected to unveil the next-generation iPhone.
7. DO-IT-YOURSELFER CREATES INEXPENSIVE PROSTHETIC
A South African carpenter who lost his fingers in a circular saw accident builds himself a new hand using such things as cables and screws.
8. EX-‘JERSEY SHORE’ STAR OPENS UP ABOUT ADDICTION
Mike “The Situation” Sorrentino says he suffered an injury during a stint on “Dancing with the Stars” and got hooked on painkillers.
9. RAFAEL NADAL PREVAILS IN SLUGFEST
The Spaniard downs top-seeded Novak Djokovic in four grueling sets to claim his second U.S. Open title.
10. WHO’S QUIETING HIS CRITICS
Many predict ex-college coach Chip Kelly’s up-tempo offense won’t work in the NFL. But his Eagles open the season by upsetting Washington, 33-27.