Dorothy Abernathy, The Associated Press bureau chief for West Virginia and Virginia, shares the 10 things you need to know Thursday, June 12, 2014. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items, upcoming events and stories in West Virginia newspapers.
1. TIKRIT, SADDAM’S HOMETOWN, FALLS TO ISLAMIC FIGHTERS
The militants, who have seized wide swaths of territory, aim to create an Islamic emirate spanning the Iraq-Syria border.
2. CANTOR QUITTING AS HOUSE MAJORITY LEADER
The lawmaker’s decision follows his stunning defeat to an underfunded tea party candidate in the Virginia primaries.
3. WHAT’S RATTLING WORLD CUP ORGANIZERS
Because of problems during construction, the all-new arena in Sao Paulo, site of the tournament’s opening game, was never tested at close to full capacity.
4. FBI PROBING ALLEGED VA MISCONDUCT
The criminal investigation into possibly falsified records and improper scheduling represents an escalation of scrutiny of VA employees.
5. ‘TRIAL OF THE CENTURY’ WAS ONE-OF-A-KIND MEDIA SPECTACLE
Twenty years ago, the O.J. Simpson murder case erupted into the first big TV trial.
6. HOW OREGON SCHOOL GUNMAN WAS ARMED
Police say the 15-year-old hid an assault rifle, handgun and ammunition in a guitar case and duffel bag before he killed a fellow student and wounded a teacher.
7. HAGEL DEFENDS NOT TELLING CONGRESS ABOUT BERGDAHL
He argues before a House panel that time was critical, and the administration couldn’t wait to confer with lawmakers before going ahead with the swap.
8. POLICE FOCUS ON DRIVER’S COMMUTE IN TRACY MORGAN CRASH
The trucker charged in the accident lived in Georgia but his job was based in Delaware — and he hadn’t slept for more than 24 hours before the crash.
9. CASEY KASEM’S DAUGHTER GETS PERMISSION TO WITHHOLD NOURISHMENT
A judge reviews medical records and concludes that the stricken former radio host would endure more pain if he were given food or fluids, the daughter’s attorney says.
10. WHY HEAT AREN’T SWEATING — YET
Miami, after Tuesday’s loss, trails San Antonio 2-1 in the NBA Finals. But the Heat also have won 13 straight postseason games following a defeat.