Latest News, WV Press Videos

McDowell County gets $1.6M back tax payment

WELCH, W.Va.  — McDowell County received more than $1.6 million in back tax funds Wednesday after a coal company paid its tax bill.

“Another coal company paid its taxes,” Sheriff Martin B. West said. “It was Mid-Vol Coal Sales, Inc. They owed $1,604,649.83. We talked to them on the phone, me and the chief tax deputy Cindy Thompson. We were going to follow up on it, but they came and paid the full amount today.”

West said 80 percent of the tax payment would go to the McDowell County Board of Education and the remaining 20 percent would go to the McDowell County Commission.

“It will help make up the budgets for the board and all the departments of the county commission,” West said.

On April 22, West Virginia gubernatorial candidate Jim Justice paid the county more than $900,000…

Comments are closed.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

And get our latest content in your inbox

Invalid email address