Dorothy Abernathy, regional media director of The Associated Press, shares 10 things you need to knowTuesday, May 31, 2016. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items and much more in West Virginia newspapers.
1. IRAQI FORCES REPEL IS ATTACK IN FALLUJAH
The attack came as government troops and Shiite militias battle to recapture the last major city in western Iraq still under Islamic State group control.
2. WHERE WAL-MART BANKS ON OVERSEAS GROWTH
The retail giant sets its sights on the lucrative Chinese market in its struggle to build an international empire, but has to adapt to local culture and custom.
3. WHO’S BRACING FOR MORE FLOODS
Some southeast Texas communities are preparing for record high water along the Brazos River, expected to crest at 53.5 feet.
4. SOUTH KOREA SAYS NORTH’S LATEST MISSILE LAUNCH LIKELY FAILED
The fourth apparent misfire in a row somewhat tempers recent worries that Pyongyang was pushing quickly toward its goal of a nuclear-tipped missile that can reach America’s mainland.
5. WHY CIA GIVES TOP-SECRET BRIEFINGS TO PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEES
The briefings are designed to get GOP and Democratic front-runners up to speed on problems around the globe in preparation of a White House win.
6. COUNSELOR SUFFERS PERSONAL LOSS IN SAN BERNARDINO SHOOTINGS
Mandy Pifer, a crisis counselor, grapples with her own anguish six months after losing her boyfriend in the attack that left 14 people dead and 22 injured.
7. DIRECTOR SAYS CINCINNATI ZOO SAFE DESPITE GORILLA TRAGEDY
Thane Maynard defends the zoo’s shooting of a rare gorilla to protect a 4-year-old boy who entered the primate’s exhibit.
8. HOW RHODE ISLAND HOPES TO CLAIM CAPT. COOK’S SHIP
If The Endeavour is found at the bottom of Newport Harbor, the state says an obscure colonial maritime practice will allow it to take possession of the famed exporer’s ship.
9. MEXICO SOCCER PLAYER RECOUNTS CAPTURE, ESCAPE
Kidnapped in the dangerous state of Tamaulipas, soccer forward Alan Pulido overpowered a captor, then called police for help.
10. CURRY, GOLDEN STATE REACH NBA FINALS AGAIN
The Warriors defeat The Thunder in a Game 7 of the Western Conference to return to the championship series.