Dorothy Abernathy, regional media director of The Associated Press, shares 10 things you need to know Tuesday, June 21, 2016. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items and much more in West Virginia newspapers.
1. ATTORNEY GENERAL VISITING ORLANDO IN WAKE OF DEADLY ATTACK
Loretta Lynch will meet with prosecutors, first responders and families of the victims of the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history.
2. ELECTION YEAR NOT SWAYING REPUBLICAN LAWMAKERS
Even the most vulnerable GOP senators are siding with the NRA on gun votes.
3.THE FEW, THE PROUD … THE PHYSICALLY FIT
AP finds that new physical standards established so women can compete for combat posts in the Marine Corps weed out many of the female hopefuls — and some men too.
4. TRUMP HOPING SHAKEUP SALVAGES WHITE HOUSE BID
The billionaire businessman’s decision to fire his campaign manager less than a month before the convention signals he recognizes the dire state of his campaign.
5. CLINTON’S VEEP SEARCH INTENSIFIES
Those under consideration include Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine and HUD Secretary Julian Castro.
6. REPORT ASSAILS NYC JAIL’S SEX ABUSE RESPONSE
AP finds Rikers Island’s emergency hotlines didn’t work, confidential complaints were read by fellow inmates and alleged attackers weren’t interviewed.
7. BOEING ENTERS MULTIBILLION DEAL WITH IRAN AIR
The proposed deal for the aircraft, which could be worth as much as $25 billion, would mark Tehran’s first major pact with a U.S. company following its landmark nuclear deal.
8. ‘WE CAN’T CHANGE IT SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY LOVE DOGS’
A city in southern China goes ahead with an annual dog-meat eating festival despite heavy criticism and protests from animal rights activists.
9. WHAT MAY BE FLYING OVERHEAD SOON
The Obama administration is on the verge of approving routine commercial use of small drones.
10. WHO IS STARRING ON TEAM USA’S DEFENSE
Geoff Cameron pairs with John Brooks to propel the United States’ soccer team to the Copa America semifinal against Argentina.