Dorothy Abernathy, regional media director of The Associated Press, shares 10 things you need to know Monday, July 18, 2016. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items and much more in West Virginia newspapers.
1. THREE POLICE OFFICERS FATALLY SHOT IN BATON ROUGE
The killings come less than two weeks after a black man was killed by police in the Louisiana city in a confrontation that sparked nightly protests that reverberated nationwide.
2. TURKEY DETAINS THOUSANDS AFTER FAILED COUP
The government moves swiftly to shore up Erdogan’s power and remove those perceived as enemies.
3. EVIDENCE MOUNTS OF EXTREMIST LINK IN FRANCE ATTACK
The Tunisian-born truck driver responsible for the deadly carnage in Nice had recently absorbed extremist ideas and may have been in contact with jihadis, French authorities say.
4. WHAT COULD BE MOST-WATCHED CONVENTION SPEECH OF ALL TIME
When Trump addresses the GOP’s gathering in Cleveland, he’s bound to attract worldwide attention.
5. US POISED TO ELECT ONE OF ITS OLDEST PRESIDENTS
Both candidates say they’re in excellent health, but Trump at 70 would be months older than Ronald Reagan on his election day, and Clinton will have just turned 69.
6. MOTIVE EMERGES IN PAKISTANI MODEL’S SLAYING
The brother of Qandeel Baloch allegedly confesses to strangling her to death for “family honor” because she posted “shameful” pictures on Facebook.
7. WHERE CROSS-BORDER TRAFFIC HAS BECOME A FLOOD
Almost 100,000 Venezuelans journey into Colombia to hunt for food and medicine that are in short supply at home.
8. MOURNERS MARK SECOND ANNIVERSARY OF ERIC GARNER’S DEATH
At a New Jersey church, Garner’s mother joins families of more than a dozen men killed by police before laying flowers at her son’s grave.
9. HOW ‘GHOSTBUSTERS’ DID AT THE BOX OFFICE
The much-anticipated flick earns an estimated $46 million in its debut, second to the holdover hit “The Secret Life of Pets.”
10. AT ROYAL TROON, A FINAL ROUND FOR THE AGES
Henrik Stenson holds off Phil Mickelson in one of golf’s greatest duels to claim the British Open and his first major.