Dorothy Abernathy, regional media director of The Associated Press, shares 10 things you need to know Friday, June 17, 2016. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items and much more in West Virginia newspapers.
1. ORLANDO NIGHTCLUB MASSACRE REVERBERATES IN PUERTO RICO
The killings of 49 people early Sunday has been felt particularly hard in the U.S. island territory because so many victims were either born there or were just a generation removed.
2. WHICH REGION RIVEN WITH CONFLICTS HAS LONG BEEN ON HILLARY CLINTON’S RADAR
From her time as first lady to her globe-hopping travel as secretary of state, the Democrat has an extensive background in dealing with the Middle East.
3. BREXIT CAMPAIGNING HALTED AS UK MOURNS SLAIN LAWMAKER
The suspension follows the shooting death of Labour Party legislator Jo Cox, who pushed for Britain to stay in the European Union.
4. FLORIDIAN RECALLS EARLIER ALLIGATOR ATTACK ‘LIKE IT WAS YESTERDAY’
Thirty-seven-year-old Jason Kershanick was just 9 when he saw a huge alligator leap out of a lake and kill his 4-year-old playmate in their Florida neighborhood.
5. WHERE STUDENTS ARE BEING DEPRIVED OF CLASS TIME
The growing chaos in Venezuela is ripping apart the nation’s school system, threatening to create a lost generation.
6. PHILIPPINE PRESIDENT-ELECT FOLLOWING THROUGH ON TOUGH TALK ON CRIME
Police round up hundreds of children or their parents to enforce a night curfew for minors, and take away drunkards and shirtless men roaming metropolitan Manila’s slums.
7. WHO’S BUCKING OFFICIAL US POLICY ON SYRIA
Dozens of State Department employees endorse an internal document that advocates U.S. military action to pressure Syria’s government into accepting a cease-fire and engaging in peace talks.
8. WESTERN US BRACES FOR 120-DEGREE HEAT
A strengthening ridge of high pressure lifting out of Mexico is on course to scorch parts of Arizona and southeast California, bringing potentially record-shattering temperatures.
9. MEAT LOAF COLLAPSES ON STAGE DURING CONCERT IN EDMONTON, ALBERTA
The 68-year-old rock singer — who canceled two other concerts in recent days, citing ill health — is taken to a hospital in unknown condition.
10. CAVS DOWN WARRIORS, FORCE GAME 7
The stage is set for Stephen Curry and LeBron James, the current and past MVPs of the NBA, to decide this year’s championship in a deciding game.