Dorothy Abernathy, regional media director of The Associated Press, shares 10 things you need to know Friday, July 22, 2016. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items and much more in West Virginia newspapers.
1. ROCKY GOP CONVENTION ENDS ON HIGH NOTE WITH SPEECHES FROM TRUMP AND DAUGHTER
Hillary Clinton is now set to snatch the attention from Republicans by naming her running mate, with Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine as the leading contender.
2. HOW TRUMP’S REMARKS ON LGBTQ RIGHTS MADE GOP HISTORY
Trump called for protecting the LGBTQ community not once, but twice, in a first for a GOP nomination address.
3. SEARCH FOR FLIGHT 370 WILL BE SUSPENDED, POSSIBLY FOREVER
Officials from Malaysia, Australia and China said the hunt will be suspended once the current search area has been completely scoured, and they acknowledged the likelihood of finding the aircraft is fading.
4. OBAMA HOSTS MEXICAN LEADER HOURS AFTER TRUMP’S GOP NOMINATION SPEECH
President Enrique Pena Nieto has said Trump’s negative attitude toward Mexicans has hurt his country’s relations with the U.S.
5. WHY FOX NEWS CHANNEL FACES CHALLENGING ROAD AHEAD BEYOND AILES’ DEPARTURE
Data tracker Nielson says more than half of Fox’s viewers are over 65 and the network is lagging in digital efforts.
6. NICE REFUSES REQUEST FROM FRENCH POLICE TO DELETE SURVEILLANCE CAMERA IMAGES
The city filed a legal complaint instead amid questions over the scale of the police presence at the time.
7. DECADE-LONG PUSH TO CURB CRIME IN RIO SLUMS IS FAILING ON EVE OF OLYMPICS
Murders rose sharply in the first half of 2016, just as officials wanted to use the Aug. 5-21 games to showcase the city.
8. WHERE A SCANDAL OVER FAKE VACCINES PROMPTED ANGRY PARENTS TO ATTACK A DOCTOR
The controversy in Indonesia’s capital is a sign of deep-seated problems in the country’s health system.
9. WHAT THE ATTENTION ON THERESA MAY’S SHOES SAY ABOUT FEMALE LEADERS
Female leaders are still scrutinized as much for style as for substance in a sign they are considered exceptions, rather than the rule.
10. HOW “POKEMON GO” WENT FROM A PRANK TO A GLOBAL PHENOMENON
Its hybrid DNA flows from a digital mapping pioneer’s fascination with the world around him, Google’s affinity for offbeat ideas and Nintendo’s comeback quest.