Dorothy Abernathy, regional media director of The Associated Press, shares 10 things you need to know Friday, Aug. 19, 2016. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items and much more in West Virginia newspapers.
1. EMAILS OBTAINED BY AP SHOW TRUMP ADVISERS WAGED COVERT INFLUENCE CAMPAIGN FOR FOREIGN PARTY
A firm run by Donald Trump’s campaign chairman attempted to sway American public opinion in favor of Ukraine’s then pro-Russian government, and never disclosed their work as foreign agents as required under federal law.
2. TRUMP CONCEDES FOR FIRST TIME HE’S MADE COMMENTS THAT ‘MAY HAVE CAUSED PAIN’
Trump offers an extended apology to those who may have been hurt by his caustic comments, saying he regrets some of what he’s said “in the heat of debate.”
3. 2 AMERICAN SWIMMERS LEAVE RIO, BUT ROBBERY SCANDAL NOT OVER
As Gunnar Bentz and Jack Conger were whisked through airport security and onto a plane, the saga remained the biggest spectacle outside of the Olympic gates and an embarrassment for Americans.
4. WHO IS BOLTING TOWARD HISTORY
After winning gold in the 200 meters, Friday’s 4×100-meter relay final is all that’s left now between Usain Bolt and an historic three golds at three straight Olympics.
5. WHERE THE HUNT FOR A MISSING MALAYSIAN PLANE CONTINUES
Investigators are attempting to define a new search area by studying where in the Indian Ocean the first piece of wreckage recovered from the doomed Boeing 777 — a wing flap — most likely drifted.
6. WHAT THE UNITED NATIONS NOW SAYS ABOUT ITS ROLE IN HAITI’S CHOLERA EPIDEMIC
The world body says for the first time that it was involved and needs to do “much more” to end the suffering of those affected, estimated at more than 800,000 people.
7. WHY THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION FACES A RENEWED STORM OF REPUBLICAN CRITICISM
The White House has acknowledged that a $400 million cash payment to Iran seven months ago was contingent on the release of a group of American prisoners.
8. WHEN A LONG-AWAITED ALBUM COULD DROP
R&B artist and Grammy award-winning singer Frank Ocean has released a music film, “Endless,” and a follow-up to his widely acclaimed debut album could come this weekend.
9. A BIG DIVORCE SETTLEMENT IS NOW A BIG DONATION
Amber Heard says she is giving away her entire $7 million settlement from Johnny Depp to a pair of charities.
10. WHICH LATE-NIGHT TV HOST GOT A WARM SEND-OFF FROM JON STEWART
Larry Wilmore, whose “The Nightly Show” ends after a brief 19-month run on Comedy Central.