The regional bureau of The Associated Press, shares 10 things you need to know Wednesday, June 28, 2017. Look for full stories on these late-breaking news items and much more in West Virginia newspapers.
1. ‘OBAMACARE’ REPEAL TEETERS AFTER SENATE SHELVES VOTE
The development leaves the bill’s fate uncertain while raising new doubts about whether Trump will ever erase his predecessor’s signature legislative achievement.
2. WHAT VENEZUELAN PRESIDENT SAYS ABOUT CHOPPER GUNFIRE
Nicolas Maduro says a stolen police helicopter fired on the Supreme Court in what he called a thwarted “terrorist attack” aimed at ousting him from power, but those who oppose him claim it was a ruse to justify a crackdown.
3. WHERE LATEST CYBERATTACK ATTACK LIKELY CAME FROM
A new, highly virulent strain of malicious software that is crippling computers globally appears to have been sown in Ukraine.
4. 3 CHICAGO OFFICERS ACCUSED OF LYING ABOUT TEEN’S SHOOTING
The officers are indicted on charges they conspired to cover up and lie about what happened when a white police officer shot black teenager Laquan McDonald 16 times.
5. WHAT WORKERS SAY ABOUT FACTORY THAT MAKES SHOES FOR IVANKA TRUMP
They tell the AP that they’ve faced long hours, low pay as well and verbal and physical abuse in China.
6. HOW ZINKE VIEWS NATIONAL MONUMENTS
The U.S. interior secretary is recommending that Utah’s Bears Ears National Monument be downsized instead, noting presidential precedent.
7. EX-TRUMP CAMPAIGN CHAIR REGISTERS AS FOREIGN AGENT
The move by Paul Manafort is for political consulting work he did for a Ukrainian political party, acknowledging that he coached party members on how to interact with U.S. government officials.
8. SARAH PALIN SUES NEW YORK TIMES
The former vice presidential nominee is accusing the newspaper of defamation over an editorial that linked one of her PAC ads to the mass shooting that severely wounded Gabby Giffords.
9. GIRLS ARE NEWEST ACTION HEROES
In the Netflix series “Stranger Things” and films like “Logan” and “Okja,” little girls have the kind of power and strength onscreen that used to just belong to boys.
10. TRANSFER QBs COULD MAKE BIG IMPACTS
Florida follows Auburn, West Virginia, Houston and Pitt to become the latest team to turn to a transfer quarterback when the Gators land Malik Zaire, formerly of Notre Dame.