1. The WVPAF underwrites part of the cost of the West Virginia Press Association’s Annual Convention to keep registration fees as low as possible.
2. The WVPAF provides high-quality workshops and seminars that address all areas of the newspaper, including issues that impact our industry’s future.
3. The WVPAF director is working with journalism instructors to bring the state’s journalism students and our newspapers closer together.
• The WVPAF helps support the state’s NIE program. Newspapers may use the Foundation as a depository for donated funds to their NIE programs, since WVPAF is a 501-C3 organization.
• The WVPAF administers several scholarship funds that provide financial assistance to West Virginia students preparing for newspaper careers. These funds provide five scholarships that are awarded each year.
• WVPAF also sponsors an internship program for West Virginia newspapers. Each year 5 or more newspaper publishers are awarded $1,500 each toward paying their summer intern.
4. The WVPAF supports Freedom of Information initiatives.
• The WVPAF will help underwrite the cost of the Freedom of Information video which members can use in their own communities to help readers and leaders understand the significance of West Virginia’s Open Meeting Laws.
• Published The Reporters Survival Handbook for members.
5. The WVPAF works with other organizations which benefit the future of West Virginia’s newspapers.
6. Your WVPAF is working to help West Virginia newspapers meet the challenges and take advantage of the opportunities of new technology.